Friday, September 7, 2007

A matter of perspective...

It is amazing how much things can change when your perspective changes.

I look at my life and I think about the bad things happening in it and feel pretty bad. In perspective, I have a really good life. Now, I am not talking about the poor starving children in whatever 3rd world place. Not that I have no compassion for them, it's just not my point right now.

I have a couple co-workers who are going through some stuff right now that makes my troubles seem insignificant. Well, not really INSIGNIFICANT, so much as minor.

One has been battling to get caught up on rent after her father died and was faced with an ultimatum today to pay rent in 3 days or be evicted from the home she has known for 16 years...

I tossed her $100 since I had cash that I had taken out to pay rent with. It made her cry... I told her "This is what friends are for, it's just money."

Another co-worker found out that his wife has cheated on him while she was out of town on some type of reserve training thing. She also told him that if she had to to do over again she would. When he told me this it crushed me. I feel so bad for him because you can see it on his face that this has just devastated him.

I am not sure what I can do for him. That really feels worse because I have no clue how I can help him. I know WHY I am this way... it is because I am insensitive... though asking Kevin of Keith they will tell you that is not true... but I really think that when my motherboard was being manufactured, they didn't even bother installing a socket for an empathy chip... empathy really does confuse me... I try to emulate it, but I almost always fail.

In retrospect, I feel kind of selfish for feeling like things were not going well for me over the last few weeks / months... If only I could help everyone, maybe then I would feel okay feeling like I am having a hard time...

yeah, that sounded as ridiculous typing it as it probably sounds reading it.

No comments: